FNA Fertilizer Limited Partnership (FNA Fertilizer LP) views member information, including name and address information, as a proprietary trade secret. We have very strict policies designed to protect such personal information.
We do not share even names and addresses with third parties except in a manner which you would expect. For example, certain FNA management and staff acting for the Limited Partnership will have access according to the needs of their work. There also could arise situations where government is given access to meet regulatory requirements for limited partnerships that may be legally required.
We will not honour “confidentiality agreements” that require us to keep secret from our members how their name and address have been used. If you ask us if we have used your name in conjunction with a business or organization, we will tell the truth.
We subscribe to the Guiding Principles set out in the Model Code For The Protection Of Personal Information, and incorporate those principles into this policy by reference.
All employees of FNA Fertilizer LP are required to read and affirm their understanding of this policy as a condition of employment upon being hired.
What information do we collect?
We collect four kinds of personal information:
1. Information necessary for the normal conduct of business. We must have names, addresses and phone numbers to provide service. We must have credit information for those who require credit, including credit numbers for those using them to purchase products or services. For special purposes such as raising equity, we may collect detailed information as required by law. None of that information is used for any purpose other than that which is set out at the time it is collected.
2. Information helpful in the conduct of business. We may ask questions in the course our relationship. These questions include what kinds of fertilizer blending you use or the nature of your on-farm storage capacity. You can see why would ask these kinds of questions for planning and service reasons.
This information is treated as highly confidential and no one is given access unless it directly involves their specific job with FNA Fertilizer LP. That is, access is restricted even within FNA Fertilizer LP itself.
WE NEVER SHARE ANY PERSONAL FINANCIAL, PRODUCTION OR MARKETING INFORMATION WITH ANYONE. PERIOD.
3. “Byproduct information.” We obtain some personal information as a byproduct of other activities. An example would be when a third party provides us a list of their members or customers so that we may communicate information to them or do a match (“merge-purge”) against our own membership list, for example, to do a joint mailing. Our purpose is to communicate with a specific group of people and as a byproduct of doing that we end up with names and addresses. Byproduct information is NOT maintained or kept. Personal information received from third parties is destroyed as soon as the purpose for which we receive it has been served.
For Partners, we may record information collected from our web site directly to your partnership records. We consider this information to be as confidential as your personal financial information and give it the highest levels of protection.
We do not provide information about your use of our web site to any one else. We do not participate in any web sharing or cookie sharing schemes .
We may require registration and legitimate email addresses from non-members as a condition of participation in or access to a number of internet features. We commit never to share email addresses obtained in this way.
How do we use the information we collect?
1. Our primary use of the information we collect is for practical business purposes. For example, it is very important that we have current, complete and accurate addresses and phone numbers so that we may properly conduct business with you.
2. We may use the information we collect to contact you ourselves for information, business, research or marketing purposes.
3. We also use the information we collect in our key planning activities. For example, if we learn that a critical mass of Partners want to see the business grow in a particular direction, such as blending facilities or distribution systems, that information would be important in business planning.
4. We may employ a third party to contact members or suppliers for the purposes described above. For example, we may have a market research program that involves surveying agricultural producers. It may be important for us to occasionally use outside firms so that we can be confident the information we receive is not biased by our own perceptions. It also allows respondents to be confident that their answers are confidential. When we use outside firms for research, your identity is not revealed with your responses so you can be fully frank in your answers.
As these firms are acting as our agents, we do not view this as sharing your information. Our agents, including any contractors, are bound to return any paper forms of member information and to destroy any electronic forms, once the purpose of their possession of the information has been served.
5. We may transfer personal information provided to a server outside of Canada that we use to host our website. By providing your personal information you consent to your information being transferred outside of Canada.
Personal information about employees of FNA Fertilizer LP is held in strict confidence.
We collect only such employee information as is required for employment purposes. Information for workplace-related social activities may be gathered by the employee social committee, including things like birthdays. Due to their workplace context, such activities are subject to privacy protection under this policy and the information collected may only be used for the purpose intended and agreed to by the affected employees.
Employee information is not shared with third parties except as provided by law and in the due intended course of business, including for example, background checks. Information about an employee may be held as confidential from the employee if the information also includes or serves to divulge third-party information of a private, commercial or confidential nature. Except as required by applicable law, nothing in this policy is intended to prevent the withholding of any information from employees where such is deemed to be in the interest of the business .
How do we protect your information?
First, FNA Fertilizer LP has and will use the full force of law to prosecute anyone who exercises unauthorized access to our records.
Second, access to any personal information is restricted to employees who have a direct need for that access.
Third, FNA Fertilizer LP has expended significant resources to secure the databases with both hardware and software security tools.
Fourth, the data is kept in a secured facility with electronic card-controlled access.
Fifth, FNA Fertilizer LP does not hold on to information for which it no longer has a legitimate use.
Sixth, FNA Fertilizer LP uses commercial-grade shredding to dispose of unneeded documents that may contain personal information including application forms and even envelopes that display return addresses.
Note that there are no guarantees that systems will not be breeched. Determined hackers or criminals pose a threat to all information stores. But FNA Fertilizer LP employs every means within its power to protect your information.
Are there exceptions?
Notwithstanding this policy, FNA Fertilizer LP reserves the right to withhold any information from anyone where it is both, in the interest of the business to withhold and not inconsistent with applicable law. In other words, circumstances could arise where we feel we have to keep certain information secret and if that happens and the law allows us to, we will keep it secret. Such a situation may never arise. We include this statement only to ensure you understand that there are no absolutes and care should be exercised in understanding the coverage of all privacy policies, including ours.
Questions or Corrections
FNA Fertilizer LP is committed to promptly dealing with any questions, concerns or corrections regarding personal information and privacy issues. Your may also review and request corrections to your personal information that FNA Fertilizer LP has in its files. Federal privacy laws require such requests to be sufficiently documented to ensure the request is coming from you. This avoids strangers making requests in your name. You may write to Privacy Officer, FNA Fertilizer LP, 320-22nd Street East, Saskatoon, S7K 0H1. You should include your complete name, address and phone number for identification verification purposes.